Applying rules to everyday business functions can improve productivity and decrease costs. One area that can enjoy dramatic improvements by applying this rules-based methodology is printing. Rules-based printing can save your small-to-medium sized business up to 30% per year in energy, supplies and productivity.
To get started, here are three simple steps:
- Inventory current printers – This includes shared printers and personal desktop printers. Take note of the age and manufacturer of each. You will also want to understand the quality and speed of printing for each machine.
- Calculate your current expenses – For each printer calculate how much money is spent on paper, toner and maintenance. If you use multiple vendors, include all the expenses associated with them, and consider if you could negotiate a better deal by consolidating to one vendor. Calculating the costs per printer will help you identify the most cost-efficient printers in your office.
- Evaluate current print rules and construct new rules to reduce costs – Some topics to consider include:
- Reducing or restricting colour printing by user or department.
- Using the most efficient printer for large jobs
- Changing default settings to black and white, double-sided printing
A Managed Print Services provider can guide you to a rule-based system that can help get you on the right track quickly. With rules-based printing, every employee can contribute to the cost-saving measures efficient printing brings to your company.